Auto insurance companies have
considered young, inexperienced drivers as a high risk category.
Teens' auto insurance rates can be 50-70% higher than more older
drivers. Here are a few tips to saving money on auto insurance for
the teen driver.
Teen auto insurance rates vary between insurers. Get a few quotes
before adding your teen. You can get free auto insurance quote online
- Most auto insurance companies give discounts to teens who've
completed a certified driving course.
- Let your teen drive a low profile car. Avoid SUV's and sports
cars. Auto insurance premiums for teens are significantly higher
with sports cars and SUV's typically cause higher property damage
- Drive a vehicle with safety features. Auto insurance companies
offer discounts for air bags, automatic seatbelts, and anti-lock
- Ask for good student driver rates. If your teenager maintains
a "B" average or better, you could save up to 25% on
your teen's rate.
- Keep a clean driving record. Teen drivers with accidents and
tickets pay a higher premium.
- Have the teen added to the parents' auto insurance policy is
cheaper than if the teen were to get their own policy.
- Increase your deductible on comprehensive/collision coverages.